THE COOL ROUTE
Ranked as the Most Adventurous Cruising Route in the World, the Cool Route also represents the most extensive international collaboration on promoting sustainable marine tourism
The Cool Route Cruising Ground, described in the International Yachting Press as the World’s Most Adventurous Cruising Ground, is one of the most attractive coastlines globally and stretches from Cork, in the South of Ireland to Western and Northern Ireland, on to Western Scotland and then to the Faroe Islands and Norway.
The Most Adventurous Cruising Route in the World
A route brochure and invitation to visit is available as a booklet please click here
The objective of the Cool Route Project , co-financed by the Interreg Northern Periphery and Arctic Programme was to strengthen the market reach and customer base for SMEs in remote communities, develop an exclusive product package to attract high end customers, develop a joint marketing strategy and ICT solution and design a marketing model focusing on “place based” development opportunities for a very wide range of tourism, activity holidays, cultural and heritage attractions, local produce, crafts, restaurants and marine services.
The Cool Route Project, has now been completed having delivered all of its objectives. Additionally the Cool Route was the winner of the 2018 Atlantic Area Award for Sustainability.
- The Route, as a tangible tourism product, has secured wide international recognition
- Partners have completed detailed analysis of all of its logistical aspects
- Cool Route Strategic Marketing Strategies have led to successful international engagements with global players in marine tourism
- Significant engagements have taken place with coastal enterprises with new produces and services introduced
- Visits by private vessels, superyachts and liners have increased throughout the route, where 40 new marinas and pontoons have been developed over the past three years.
- The Route Business Plan was produced and secured its intended objectives
- The Cool Route Video Channel is operational and provides a great overview of the route
- A promotional video for the entire route is here
- Wide dissemination of the project has been achieved with over 2,000 followers on its Facebook and Twitter Platforms
- Arrangements are now in place for the continuation of the work of the project with the involvement of Sailing and Cruising Scotland to ensure that the route continues to develop on a not-for-profit basis to promote Northern European waters for Marine Tourism and bringing new economic opportunities to many thousands of coastal enterprises.
Full details of all analyses, studies and reports are available from the Studies and Reports Area of this website.